AS stores and consumers alike prepare for Black Friday, the biggest shopping day of the year, there is an entire packaging industry that is working to make sure that all of those products are delivered safely. From shrink wrap packaging to sandwich packaging mockups for new products, there are many new ways to make sure that all kinds of products are protected.
There is an old adage that you should not judge a book by its cover, but the reality is that there are a number of packaging decisions that drive sales. From the glitzy reveal of a new logo for an old product to the colorful graphics that attract children across the internet and across the store, today’s visual marketing techniques continue to influence sales. Although many purchases are now made online, the allure of how a product looks in pictures on the internet and how that same package looks when it is delivered still matters.
Unfortunately, the latest research indicates that every year as many as 95% of new products fail. In part, some of these failures can be traced back to poor packaging decisions. Some of these poor decisions do not protect the product and consumers receive damaged or ruined goods. Other poor packaging choices fail because their designs do not successfully help brand a product.
Consider some of these other facts and figures about the packaging industry and the impact that they have on the nation’s economy:
- 52% of consumers around the world indicate that they make purchasing decisions partially based on whether packaging shows a brand making a positive environmental or social impact.
- Currently, packaging is the third largest industry in America.
- After showing strong attention to their product packaging, businesses have reported as much as a 30% increase in consumer interest.
- 40% of online shoppers indicate that they agree branded packaging makes them more likely to recommend products to friends or to share those products through social media.
- 90% of consumers indicate that they reuse product packaging boxes after the initial purchase.
- 50% of consumers indicate that they will make additional purchases from a brand if that company uses retail packaging at the premium level.
From sandwich packaging mockups that strive to protect the most delicate of products to custom shrink wrap sleeves, there are a number of ways that the packaging industry strives to serve a number of purposes in the nation’s consumer market.