There are a number of reasons companies and other organizations shred their documents. Many rely on their staff and buy their own equipment to do that. While it may be hard to see, there are a lot of reasons these organizations should go to document shredding services rather than rely on internal sources for disposal of client and customer data. For personal files. many businesses offer free document shredding services.
Reasons to Use a Document Shredding Service:
- It improves your relationship with your clients and customers. When people know that their personal information is safe and secure they feel better. They feel better about doing business with you. If your business has to manage personal information such as medical data, legal information or financial records, you need your clients, patients and customers to have nothing but the utmost confidence in the way you handle that data. Keep in mind, it has been estimated that only 10% of identity theft is perpetrated online. Destroying paper records this way is the best way to protect it from would be thieves. This is one reason individuals should take advantage of free document shredding services.
- Shredded files are gone forever. Documents destroyed by secure shredding services cannot be recovered. When you let a professional document shredding company take care of your paper documents, you know after they are destroyed they are truly gone forever. Not only is it impossible to piece them back together but the shreds of your documents are mixed in with those from other companies and organizations. The same can be said for personal documents that are destroyed by free document shredding services. Your materials are shredded and mixed with the shreds of other customers.
- You can be confident you are in compliance. There are a number of industries that need to comply with federal and state regulations that govern the destruction of client, patient and customer data. The consequences of non compliance can be severe. When you contract with a professional document shredding service, you know that your are in full compliance with all of these rules and regulations. If there is a problem, the document shredding service will be culpable. Their reputation is also on the line.
- You protect your reputation. A few years ago, several national and international retailers found their data systems had been hacked and millions of customers data was vulnerable. The companies impacted found their reputations hurt. If your business were to experience such a breach, it could be devastating. It has been estimated that as much as 95% of all businesses keep their records on paper. By using a document shredding company to destroy these records, you can protect the integrity of your system and your reputation.
- It is cheaper that doing it all in house. Many organizations assume that it is cheaper to let their staff shred everything with equipment they purchase and maintain. The opposite is true. First of all, the shredders that are used by professional shredding services can handle a much higher volume of documents than anything you can buy for your office. That means your equipment will break down and need to be repaired, which is costly. Moreover, it will take your staff a lot of time and that means they are not doing the jobs you hired them to do. It is much more cost effective to go with an outside document shredding service than rely on your staff to handle it. It certainly costs a lot less to use a document shredding service than to hire a full time person to do nothing but shred your client and customer files and to maintain office shredders.
- It is very good for the environment. The most common solid waste on the planet is paper. By shredding and recycling it, you keep some of your paper waste out of landfills. It has been estimated that the United States uses about 80 million tons of paper every year. When it is sent to landfills, it contributes to global warming. Individuals should use free document shredding services for this reason.
You want to keep your patient, client or customer data as safe as possible. The best way to do this is to use a document shredding service.