Many homeowners do not spend a lot of time thinking about their driveways but they are important for a number of reasons. The driveway is one of the first things people see when they look at your home. The good news is that a driveway that has been installed correctly and is properly maintained can last for between 25 and 50 years. If you are in the position to have a concrete repair company work on your driveway or if you are in the market to have a new asphalt driveway or concrete driveway installed, you need to find the right driveway contractor to do the work. Here are some tips to hiring the right company.
- Talk to your friends, family and neighbors. If you know people who own their own home, you probably know people who have needed to have concrete repairs done on their driveway. The best way to find good quality products and services is to get recommendations from people you know and trust. Ask the people you know how they found the driveway contractor they used and how they found working with them.
- Check online. Sites like Facebook and Yelp have great reviews of just about every kind of company. Many cities and localities have Facebook groups that are set up to promote local goods and services. If you do not see a recommendation for a concrete repair company, ask! People love to give advice about things like this. Be careful about paying too much attention to bad reviews that are left anonymously because people are much more likely to complain than compliment and that is very true when they can leave their thoughts without leaving their name.
- Dp your research. Before you hire any concrete repair company or driveway contractor, you need to do the necessary due diligence on the company. This means you have to find out what the rules and regulations are for your area. Different states and cities have different rules regarding what licenses, certifications, bonding and insurance is required. When you know what the company is supposed to have, ask. Verify what they tell you. If there is a problem and someone is injured and the contracting company does not have the right insurance, you can be liable legally.
- Find out about permitting. You may need to get certain permits for your driveway, depending on the rules in your town or city. If you do not get what you need, the company doing the concrete repairs will not be held liable, you will be. It is worth it to look into this before you have your driveway redone. A few calls made before the work is done will save you a lot of stress, energy and money later.
- Go with a company that uses “tried and true” methods. Sometimes a driveway contractor will tell a homeowner that they have some special way of installing a driveway. They make claims about using their own private method or some new special technology. These people may also have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you. The tools, technology and methods for driveway installation have not changed in decades. You want something that you know works, done by someone who is not trying to sell you on something that does not exist.
- Get at least three quotes. When you talk to different companies that handle concrete repairs or the installation of driveways, you should get at least three estimates in writing. Make sure they are itemized so that you know exactly what you are paying for. When you have the quotes in writing, you can make your comparisons and see what each company is charging you and for what. This really makes the process easier.
- Do not make your decision solely on price. Putting in a driveway is a big investment. You want the job done right. Unless you have other information that makes you think a company is good, going with the lowest price may not be your best idea. The cheapest company may end up costing you more in the long run. Weight all the factors, not just the cost.
If you spend some time, you will find the right driveway contractor for your home.